Cargill sells a private label brand of deer food products they were rolling out at an 800+ store national retailer. Some markets were very familiar with the Record Rack™ brand and even had strong brand loyalty. Other markets were using competitive brands and/or had never heard of this product. In addition to educating consumers about this brand and the product attributes, we had to educate the retail teams so they could answer questions and sell the product appropriately based on the consumer needs.
- Educate new consumers about features and benefits of the product line
- Articulate key messages and value proposition of product
- Revise the Brand Promise and apply across various media vehicles
- Hyper-targeted media deployment to reach niche markets
- Develop branded internal communications and create training materials for all retail locations
The varied audience segments and knowledge of the product made it particularly challenging to create messaging and branding that would work hard for various customers, yet be consistent across marketing channels. Articulating the value proposition of the premiere brand was also a consideration.
The consumer brand campaign was called, “Buckamonial” and featured deer at different phases of development with clever and catchy “thought bubbles” about what the deer might be thinking about his food and nutritional needs. The campaign was overwhelmingly chosen in our focus group research as a unique and fresh way to feature the product and differentiate among competitor products.
As the product rollout happened at national retailer locations, targeted direct mail, SEM, and print advertising were deployed and the Record Rack website was completely refreshed. Coupons and promotional offers were featured in all marketing materials to drive trial.
CAMPAIGN: TRAINING MATERIALS
Training materials for the retail staff were aligned with the consumer campaign, but the brand had a casual academic feel to them. “Buckology 101” was the two-page product guide that was created for the staff to quickly learn the brand, as well as a convenient pocket carry piece for easy reference.
Branded promotional items were created for the staff to wear on the floor – khaki hats and uniform buttons printed with “Resident Buckologist” were created for the teams to wear during the launch of the new product. Training kits with all materials were packaged in separate branded boxes so they would be easily recognizable and opened immediately at each store.
Store shelf signage and product brochures was updated to clearly outline the four phases of deer antler development, along with bullet pointed product features in each phase to help guide the consumer and the staff on proper product selection. Signage and packaging were also color-coordinated by the four phases of deer development for clean and synchronized messaging.
- Successful rollout of Record Rack products, and distribution of training materials to over 800 stores within client + retailer deadlines and on budget
- Training materials were a hit with store team members and made learning the new products easy to understand and explain to customers
- Targeted marketing campaign reached key audiences who would purchase product, and drove trial with coupon and sampling promotion
- Signage and marketing materials were implemented at each store – high compliance for installation